Tuesday, February 11, 2014

"Marriage Week" Article



     There’s a very interesting article on the American Spectator site called “Marriage Week: There’s Lots To Celebrate” (link) by William Tucker.  Tucker approaches the issue from a secular, Darwinian perspective, for which reason  I can’t say I buy his whole argument, but he makes some interesting points.  His subtitle is “A Reminder: Monogamy Made Us Human.”


     There are also some interesting and thoughtful comments (amid the usual garbage).  One of the commenters pointed me to this beautiful letter written by Ronald Reagan to his son Michael on the eve of Michael’s wedding in 1971 (link).  I’d never read this before, but I’ll make a point of sharing it with my sons well before they get married.  The best lines:

" . . . let me tell you how really great is the challenge of proving your masculinity and charm with one woman for the rest of your life."

“It does take quite a man to remain attractive and to be loved by a woman who has heard him snore, seen him unshaven, tended him while he was sick and washed his dirty underwear.”

“You'll never get in trouble if you say ‘I love you’ at least once a day.”









No comments:

Post a Comment